The IGI’s CIGO Task Force developed the following sample job description using the fictional company, “Pharmeliorate” to illustrate in a concrete way how the CIGO role might be characterized.
Chief Information Governance Officer
The Chief Information Governance Officer (CIGO) will be responsible for leading Pharmeliorate’s information governance (IG) program and projects. Specifically, the CIGO is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing an enterprise-wide, integrated IG program designed to optimize the company’s use of its information assets. To ensure optimal use of information assets, the CIGO will coordinate all facets of IG across the organization. Essential to success in this role is the ability to work cross-functionally and collaboratively across all groups within the enterprise and with all management levels.
The CIGO will work with all Pharmeliorate business units, executives, and our board to develop an IG program that not only meets the company’s legal, regulatory, and ethical obligations and the company’s high standards, but that is also tied to the company’s overall business strategy. To that end, the CIGO will develop and implement an IG program that addresses both the risk and value sides of the company’s information assets. The CIGO will continue to build out and improve upon the framework and structure of the company’s existing IG program with a clear, strategic vision for advancing the program over the next several years.
- Review and provide a comprehensive assessment of the company’s existing IG program.
- In collaboration with other key leaders of various IG facets, including the CTO and CISO, as well as management in major IG functions and business units, the CIGO will be responsible for developing a strategic vision for the organization’s IG program and framework for implementing that vision. Through effective collaboration and relationship building, the CIGO will ensure that the vision is consonant with the company’s culture and can be effectively implemented and integrated across the organization at all levels.
- The CIGO will socialize the adoption of both the strategic vision and framework.
- Upon that framework, the CIGO will progressively build the structure of the company’s IG program, moving the company forward, in a timely fashion, toward that strategic vision.
- Identifying any underdeveloped or missing elements of our current IG program and building out or filling these functions with either internal staff or external hires as appropriate.
- Leading the existing IG steering committee, including ensuring that all organizational concerns are represented.
- Reviewing and revising existing policies and procedures to ensure that they adequately address all Pharmeliorate information regardless of format and expanding and integrating policies across the organization.
- Identifying and implementing technological solutions to enforce IG policies and procedures in a way that minimizes the burden on our workforce.
- Expanding internal IG educational programs.
- Developing a program to audit compliance on critical regulatory or legal requirements and expanding it to audit other information activities.
- Continue to expand the organization’s incident readiness. Ensure that all regular or anticipated events (e-discovery, investigations, employee departures, etc.) are built into processes so they are not disrupters of routine.
- Hiring and managing a staff appropriate to support the CIGO’s mandate.
- Reports to the CEO.
- Collaborates as a peer with the CTO and CISO, with each having primary but overlapping areas of influence corresponding to IT infrastructure, information content, and information security for the CTO, CIGO, and CISO, respectively.
- Collaborates and consults directly with the COO and CFO.
- In addition to collaborating with the COO, consults regularly with management of all business units to ensure effective change management and that the company’s business objectives are considered during all IG efforts.
- Consults regularly with all levels of legal management to ensure handling of information assets meets the company’s legal, regulatory, and ethical obligations.
- Business intelligence, privacy, RIM, and knowledge management teams are direct reports to the CIGO.
- A minimum of 10 years combined professional experience in a core area(s) essential to performing this cross-functional role, including but not limited IT, information security, legal (privacy or compliance), records and information management, business operations, and IG.
- 3-5 years of management experience.
- An ideal candidate will have direct work experience across at least two of the core areas identified above. However, certifications and other demonstrated knowledge in these areas may be sufficient to supplement actual work experience.
- Because of the cross-functional nature of the role, the candidate must have a demonstrated working knowledge and/or ability and willingness to learn the basic operations of each of the core areas identified above.
- Proven ability to negotiate, sell, and work collaboratively in a highly competitive, federated, and regulated environment. This is essential to success in this role.
- Basic technology “know how” is essential.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
Additional Skills Required for Success
- Excellent communications skills
- Demonstrated leadership capacity and strategic vision
- Superior program and project management skills
- Team building and influencing skills
- Business acumen
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Expected range: $350,000-$750,000. Pharmeliorate provides a generous executive benefits and stock plan.
This publication is possible through the generous help of the leading providers of information governance products and services that are Supporters of the Information Governance Initiative.
Acaveo ∙ Actiance ∙ Active Navigation ∙ Catalyst ∙ Consilio ∙ Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP ∙ DTI Global ∙ Exterro ∙ EY ∙ GlassIG ∙ Guidance Software ∙ HP Enterprise ∙ iDiscovery Solutions ∙ Integro ∙ Iron Mountain ∙ kCura ∙ Nuix ∙ OpenText ∙ Preservica ∙ Recommind ∙ Tritura ∙ Veritas ∙ ViaLumina ∙ Viewpointe, LLC ∙ ZL Technologies